Thursday, 2 December 2010

"My dearest Emma"



“ ‘My dearest Emma,’ said he, ‘for dearest you will always be, whatever the event of this hour’s conversation, my dearest, most beloved Emma - tell me once.’ “


Every once in a while, I like to revisit books that I have previously read.  These include; those books I enjoy, books that I cannot really remember, and books that I did not find to my liking.  One of these novels that I did not enjoy the first time I read it, was Jane Austen’s Emma.

Stunned you are?  I believe it.  I was quite surprised myself when I first read Jane Austen’s novels, to find one that I did not like.  However, since reading Emma and letting it percolate in my mind, and then rereading it, I find that I enjoy it very much.

Emma is a story about a young woman who lives in a small town, and is the favourite of her former governess, her Father, and her brother-in-law.  Throughout the story, Emma enjoys matchmaking, introducing her young friend around society, and getting to know her former governess’ new stepson.  One aspect of note, is that throughout the story, Emma is fairly introspective for seeming so carefree.

I do not want to reveal too much of the story, but want to say that there is a very unexpected twist that is revealed towards the end.  However, once you reread the story, you will be able to see hints that were woven throughout.

There are not very many character’s throughout the story, so you are able to become familiar with those who share a significant part.  Some of these character’s include;

Emma Woodhouse--The Heroine
Mr. Woodhouse--Emma’s Father
Mr. Knightley--Emma’s brother-in-law
Miss Taylor/Mrs. Weston--Emma’s former Governess
Frank Churchill--Mrs. Weston’s Stepson
Harriet Smith--Emma’s friend
Jane Fairfax--Hers is a role that is difficult to explain, but you will find you look forward to her appearance.

I do encourage everyone to read Jane Austen’s novels.  They are a glimpse into many things of the Victorian Era; from relationships and friendships to writing styles and language.  They are a wonderful resource that I recommend everyone use and enjoy to the fullest extent.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...