Saturday, 22 January 2011

Quote Book


    ~As I have stated before, I absolutely love to read.  And, while reading, you come across some really stunning excerpts.  Those marvelous little one or two liners that you never want to forget…but you always do.  Well, one day I finally got fed up with forgetting those things I wanted to remember.  So, I developed my quote book.
    ~While reading, I use sticky notes to mark; words of wisdom, romantic declarations that are just too beautiful to forget, sentences that are full of imagery, and items of historical significance that I find particularly moving.  Once I have finished reading the book or novel, I then transfer the excerpts into my spiral-bound notebook along with the title of the book, the page number, and the characters that it pertains to.  (Victorian Trading Company has a beautiful little book meant for just this purpose, but it is too small for the amount of excerpts that I have collected.)

    Some of the excerpts that I have added over the years, are;

    “ ‘I think we may ask why,’ replied Diggorsfeld.  ‘Asking God why things happen is, it seems to me, an integral part of what it means for a mortal to walk in faith, for we wouldn’t ask why if we didn’t have Faith that God knows the answer!  But we do not see as God does.  Much appears evil and unfair to our obscured sight.  But we are nevertheless commanded to walk in Faith, trusting in His sight more than we trust our own.  We can and perhaps should ask Him why, as long as we trust Him even when answers may be slow to come.’ ” Wild Grows the Heather in Devon by Michael Phillips (Diggorsfeld to Rutherford-Page 252)

    “What do you do when strength is called for and you have no strength?  You evoke a power beyond your own and use stamina you did not know you had.  You open your eyes in the morning grateful that you can see the sunlight of yet another day.  You draw yourself to the edge of the bed and then put one foot in front of the other-and keep going.  You weep with those who gently close the eyes of the dead, and somehow, from the salt of your tears, comes endurance for them and for you.  You pour out that resurgence to minister to the living.” Christy by Catherine Marshall (Page 477)

    “Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one’s life with pomp and blare, like a gay knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one’s side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart its pages betrayed the rhythm and the music; perhaps…perhaps…love unfolded naturally out of a beautif friendship, as a golden hearted rose slipping from its green sheath.”  Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery (Page 277)


    ~In addition to the excerpts that I collect, I also collect quotes.  These quotes range from political quotes by Alexander Hamilton, such as, “Ah, this is the constitution.  Now, mark my words.  So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness.  But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer.”  To humorous quotes like one I have by Cary Grant, “Insanity runs in my family.  It practically gallops.”  To spiritual quotes, “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else”--C.S. Lewis.  And finally, to moving quotes, such as the one I have by Abolitionist Angelina Grimké,

"Are we aliens because we are women?  Are we bereft of citizenship because we are mothers, wives, and daughters of a mighty people?  Have women no country-no interests staked in public weal [prosperity, well-being]-no partnership in a nation’s guilt and shame?…I hold, Mr. Chairman, that American women have to do this subject [The abolition of slavery], not only because it is moral and religious, but because it is political, inasmuch as we are citizens of the republic and as such our honor, happiness, and well-being are bound up in its politics‘, government, and laws."


    ~One thing that I do not do with my quote book, it add everything that I run across.  I add things I find inspiration from, that are moral, that I relate to, and that have wisdom in them.  My quotes and excerpts come from; novels, textbooks, the internet, and my friends and family.  When I find something worth adding, it is then that I add it, but never before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...